Monday, March 24, 2008

Dame Julian


I am on retreat at Mepkin Abbey in South Carolina as I begin this writing. It is a much needed retreat. During the summer I have had many responsibilities given to me at my parish and through my diocese. They are much too mundane and sound as a litany of complaint to list them all, so I will spare you and anyone else the itemized list. I do feel comfortable in saying that it has been hectic.



All of these responsibilities bring me to make a comparison about responsibilities in my spiritual vocation and those of everyday life. As I dwell more and more into the Gospels themselves and into the sacred activism of Christ; I feel more inclined to be a person who follows and Shepard others to Christ through works of social justice in the world, as well as the sacraments and not through contemplation.



This is where the comparison comes in and the appreciation of my year as an Associate in the Order of Julian comes to life. When I work on the projects assigned to me, or requested of me, I am a frenzy of activity. There are many deadlines to meet, as well as liturgies, dioceses communications issues, not to mention a refugee family from Burma, counting on me to make aspects of all projects happen. This is not to mention my "day job" as a teacher. Sometimes during this process you can lose site of what is really the most important things in your life. This is where my wife and two young children come into play. While I am out there trying to "heal the world'; I can not look away from those nearest me. I must help them and receive their help and comfort in these times of activity and discernment. The comparison that I want to make concerning my love for social activism, the Gospel, and Christ Jesus and the order is the same as my need for action coupled with my need for family.



While working constantly on the outreach and mission of the church, I have at times found myself forgetting why I had started this in the first place. Moving furniture for a refugee family can easily start to feel like manual labor if you lose sight of the big picture of hospitality and the messages of the Gospel. The contemplative and disciplined nature of the order has done allot to help me feel more of the presence of Christ not only at my place of prayer, but at the church office, computer, the phone and the back of a moving van.



I must admit there was a time when I doubted my affiliation with a strictly contemplative order. I have felt that social justice, and sacred activism where the key to being close to Christ. I even considered discerning for the Third order of Franciscans. I have decided against that now. The time I experienced those feelings has made me a stronger Associate and made me realize that while Christ calls me to act, Dame Julian helps me appreciate the action.

No comments: