Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Burlap Underwear and Lent

Ever get stuck trying to figure out something to give up for Lent?

I think we all go through it. We ask "What's good enough", and make grand statements like "Chocolate is Whimpy" and "Where in the depths of Poopy Land (trying to give up cursing... is that a Good Lenten fast?) is my Hair Shirt". When I was getting really ridiculous and shopping for patterns to make burlap underwear, I was given some kind advice by my Deacon, who said "Dont give up anything- Take something on!"

What a novel idea....................

I was still figuring out what to take on, (and I did give up itunes and amazon, so stock holders should sell now) when my wife gave me journaling book by Joan Chittister. Sister Joan is a Benedictine Nun who gives the Pope a heck of a time with her views on sin, womens ordination, and human sexuality. (she sounds like an Episcopalian to me. I wonder if anyone has invited her to take a walk on our side..................). Anyway, this book is a very special gift to me. This is due to the fact that my wife is not exactly what you would call overly religious. In other words, my wife's friends are still howling about the fact that she's going to end up married to a Priest. Howling for two years now.

So, back to the journaling. I will be journaling and reflecting on the journay of Lent with a voice that is less than authoritarian. I will speak with the authority of a mouse in the chancel.

No comments: