Thursday, February 21, 2008

How to say "I F**ked Up"

WARNING- This blog is a bit of a rant, so if you want reconciliatory tones
this is not the blog you want to read. When we find ourselves on the ragged edge of the parabolic curve of truth- why not exorcise the anger by constructively, logically working through it with words. If we used words, maybe many messes could be avoided. Sometimes, we all get a bit angry about the state of the world and expectations that are put upon people. Sometimes, I get a little perturbed with the seemingly ever increasing oxymoronic turns this world can give us. For example, pro -life and pro-death penalty. Keep em alive until they piss us off...... (That felt good, see words work!)

But, that's enough for now I'll blog on that one later..................


Here goes -

I was reading the journal meditation for today. It was about the fear of failure. In my life the fear of failure was not about fearing imperfection, but being so insecure that I could not admit failure. It was not like I was a coward who knew I made a mistake. I was actually convinced that it was always someone besides myself who was to blame for all of the Earth's, as well as my problems. I finally figured out it was my esteem that did not allow me to own mistakes. It was the lack of self respect I had for myself that forced me to maintain a perfect self image. In other words, I could not own up to mistakes because that would make me (gasp) human...........

In other words, "Unable to accept ourselves as we really are, we wear ourselves out in an effort to become unimpeachable"

I guess this means one of the greatest gifts is be able to say with hearty bravado "I fecked up"* and mean it with all of your heart. *(I'm using feck instead of "the other", due to the popularity of feck vs "the other" with Irish clergy)

Go on, you'll enjoy it so much.

So let's examine "I fecked up" in it's proper place in our society. Let us ponder the good times to use this most useful of all F bombs and when to not.

How does this fit in with our lives on a regular and global basis. We see our leaders "f up" all of the time. As an Anglican, I was painfully aware of blunders being made when the Archbishop of Canterbury made some comments that were not really ready for "prime time soundbyte land" about sharia law in the UK. The speech he gave was dense. Perhaps, to his own detrament he failed to realize he now has a global audience. He failed to realize that all of those guys with microphones and cameras were going to transmit all that he said to all of the whole world. Not only that, but they were going to transmit only what they wanted the world to hear to the world. This would logically mean, in our free market were media is the king of all commodities, that the most entertaining would be published.

It is fair to say that the Archbishop speaks in dense prose, a prose that is not easily transferable to the quick sound byte. To his defense, the Archbishop did speak on the "gaff of intellligence" at the Church of Englands Synod where he explained his position very thoroughly. He also published a "What I really said" article on his website. the controversy is no longer on the top of world news on my Google News, so I sigh with relief.

So, how does this pertain to the "I fecked up" rule?

When you cause a commotion because of words, you are clear. No need to drop the glorious redeming penitital "f" bomb. I am glad the Archbishop did not apologize for thinking and speaking deeply. In fact, I trust that most of us want a leader smarter than ourselves.

Now, with your permission, I move to a totally different application of the ethical use of "I fecked up". Some of you may have guessed that I am an Anglican. While this is true, I am also an American and I live with one of the most outrageous failures to obey the "I fecked up" rule.

I am speaking, of course, of the "opsa daisy" that has been our foreign policy for the last 8 years.When this country has tortured, bombed, killed and maimed thousands (inclusively- not for each previous category, but I guess that depends on your definition of torture), due to an intelligence mistake. I would say "I fecked up" is most apt. It is apt to say it to the Iraqi people, the American troops and their families and especially the Iraqi, American, and Coalition orphans. It is apt to say this to the victims of sectarian violence.

I do know that the possibility of a better nation exist for the Iraqis. I also know Saddam Hussein was probably not a misunderstood freedom fighter, neither is Castro, but there is no shock and awe over Havanna or Darfur, for that matter. So, I am a little concerned about the logical applications of our "Regime Change Policy" and the criteria for picking out the next suitable regime to be changed.

What is done is done and we have a mess on our hands, and unfortunately theirs. But, I still would love for someone to stand up and say "I'm sorry, We fecked up". Hopefully,and I pray this will happen soon, this will be done at a venue that the "F bomb" will be inapppropriate- after all children will be present.


So, for the penitental season of Lent let's apologize, not only to God, but our neighbor- all of our neighbors.

No comments: