Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Got Burnt

You know, it is very hard to put your money where your mouth is.

As a Christian, and one who is going to be a Priest for "you know who's" sake, I should forgive and not judge. We'll it became totally clear today that walking the walk must sometimes be done in a wheel chair. One of my top five materialistic possessions was stolen today. My sturdy ipod has gone away................

I was at my job teaching, and I was completing a unit on Mozart. I know I teach art, but I wanted the kids to know that that the art of the Rococo period had some redeeming accomplishment associated with it. So anyway, I took my kids to break and someone did not close the door behind them.

We'll lets just say the open door was taken advantage of and the ipod was stolen. It wasn't a great ipod, only 20 GB in a world of terabytes. It would be easily replaceable if I wasn't preparing to go to Seminary. But, how do you go about replacing a material object that you dont have to have, when you usually rale against our need for materialistic "things".

Seems to be a bit hypocritical doesnt it?

It is and I readily admit it. It is just a bit maddening to be a guy in which music is such an integral part of their life. It is my tool for contemplative prayer, I can't work out without tunes either. Im the geek who lovingly arranges his playlist by genre and sub categories within genres. I'm the guy who bought a new car stereo for the ipod. I make roadtrip playlists for my wife.....

I think I'm going to be a mess for a while, a pissed off mess.

But, I guess it will be alright to be a pissed off mess for a while even if your going to be a Priest. A Priest that I known gave a homily that said that when he is asked "Are you a Christian?", he always replies "I hope to be". In other words, he's still working on it. So, this will pass. I'll get a new ipod, albeit with less GB and so small that Tapis restaurants serve sides of meat larger than it, so small that I will need a necklace around my neck so not to lose it like a latch key kids first key in seventh grade.

But, for now I'll be messed up and pissed off, for a little while.....just a bit maybe.

No comments: